Making the choice between aluminium windows and wooden windows is not always the simplest decision. Many home owners assume that wood is always the best option. While there is no doubting the charm that wood offers to homes, there are a number of things to consider over and beyond looks.
In this mini guide, we take a look at how aluminium windows compare to wooden windows to get a better idea of how they compare side by side.
Aluminium Windows or Wooden Windows – Which is Best?
What factors should you consider when deciding on wooden or aluminium windows? Let’s take a look.
- Cost. One of the biggest advantages of aluminium is its cost-effectiveness. Replacing old windows can be a huge headache for many home owners – especially where costs are involved. Wood can often end up costing more than other materials. In older homes that require a very specific type of window or wood, costs are even higher. Aluminium frames are low-cost, making them a far more affordable choice.
- Durability. Aluminium is also extremely strong, making it an excellent choice for home owners seeking a long-term solution. Whether you live on the coast or further inland, you will need to consider everyday wear and tear when choosing your windows. Wood may last a few years, but over time, frames will start to warp and disintegrate. This means that you may end up needing to replace your windows more quickly than you would if you chose a stronger, durable material such as aluminium. Aluminium windows are far more suited to high moisture areas, as they seal better in this environment. Wooden windows expand and contract according to the climate, which means that they are not always ideal for areas that have a high moisture level.
- Maintenance. On a similar note, you will also need to consider how much maintenance is required. Maintenance costs can quickly start to add up over time. Wooden windows typically require regular varnishing and finishing in order to last. Even then, there is no guarantee that your windows will last more than a few years. Aluminium, on the other hand, requires very little maintenance to continue looking as good as it does when first installed.
- Versatility. If you are concerned about getting the look of wood, you may be surprised to know that modern aluminium window frames can look almost exactly like wood. In fact, you will be able to have far more finishes, colours and styles to choose from compared to wooden frames. This type of window works just as well in older character homes as it does in modern homes that have a contemporary design. To get an idea of just how versatile aluminium can be, have a look at our image gallery.
- Installation. Finally, aluminium frames can also be a lot simpler to install. Installation of new windows can be frustrating, to say the least. Here at PG Aluminium, we work hard to take the stress out of window installations. Our team comprises a number of experts who are able to simplify the process while getting the very best results. This ensures that your window installation does not need to be a headache. Instead, you can enjoy peace of mind in knowing that installation is as efficient as possible.
If you are interested in finding out more about our wide range of high quality aluminium windows in Durban and surrounds, contact PGAluminium KZN today.